1. What scientific topics, or Areas of Interest (AOI), are currently applicable for the MISP?
AOI are updated on an annual basis and posted to the publicly-accessible webpage EngageZone. AOI are designed to fill data gaps relevant to the therapeutic area.
2. What trial-related experience is required/preferred for MISP applications?
Experience conducting clinical trials is highly preferred, although junior investigators may apply as long as they can demonstrate support from a highly experienced mentor. In addition, submitting investigators must demonstrate that their institution has the necessary research infrastructure to conduct investigator-initiated clinical trials. A current CV (in a PDF format) is a required component of the application to allow the review committee to appropriately assess these requirements.
3. Why does MSD have an annual assessment (versus a rolling evaluation) of oncology-related study proposals submitted via the MISP?
MSD receives proposals from around the world. In oncology, we have chosen to review these on an annual basis in order to ensure a fair and equitable process given that the number of submitted concepts far exceeds the capacity for support (approximately 10% are supported). By reviewing concepts at one time, MSD can evaluate concepts against the complete pool of available potential concepts and ensure the concepts of highest interest and scientific merit are funded.
4. Is the deadline for submission the same every year or does it vary? How do I know what it is?
The deadline varies year to year; however, it is generally in the first quarter. Deadlines are posted on EngageZone.
5. Are there any exceptions to allow submissions outside of the annual assessment timing, and if so, what are the circumstances?
There are no exceptions.
6. What if I only want study drug? Is that also only evaluated on an annual basis?
Study concepts that do not request funding (“drug-only” proposals) are reviewed on a rolling basis, with a review committee convened every quarter. Concepts for study drug only still must address a current AOI.
7. Where can I locate templates and tools for use with the MISP?
Templates and tools are available online on EngageZone (engagezone.msd.com).Click Oncology on the top ribbon.